- 12 months +
- 24 cookies
This recipe is versatile for impromptu occasions or holidays, and you can adapt it with different cookie cutter shapes. Use cutters for Christmas, Halloween, Valentine’s Day, or use animals to make these fun cookies all year round.
You will need
- 1 ½ cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup sesame or almond oil, chilled
- Sift flours, salt, and baking powder into one bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla, maple syrup, and oil.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Use your hands to form a ball in the mixing bowl. Cover with a damp towel and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and grease cookie sheet with oil.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Divide dough into 2 parts and flatten one piece with your hand onto a floured cutting board.
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin to ¼ inch thick.
- Use as little extra flour as possible to avoid toughening the dough. Use cookie cutters to make shapes, and transfer them to cookie sheet. Re-roll dough and cut out more shapes.
- Bake for 12 to 18 minutes, until lightly browned.